The Competition will start on July 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM with the Opening Ceremony and the Draw of both the Order of Entry in the competition and the Repertoire for the First Round.
July 27, 2021: First Round – Symphonic
Haydn: Symphony no. 104, in D Major (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
L.van Beethoven: Symphony no. 1, in C Major (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
Fr. Schubert: Symphony no. 5, in B flat Major (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
Glinka – Valse Fantaisie (Edition Leipzig M.P Belaieff/ reprinted Muzgiz)
Enescu: Suite no.1. op. 9 – Prelude à l’Unisson (Edition Kalmus)
* W.A. Mozart: “Don Giovanni” – Overture and P.I. Tchaikovsky: “Evgheny Oneghin” – Introduction are part of the repertoire of the Semifinal – Opera.
On July 27, 2021 will take place First Round of the International Conducting Competition “Ionel Perlea” 5th Edition, 2021. Participants will be divided into two groups (Group A and Group B).
Each participant will have approximately 12 minutes in front of the orchestra, during which they will have to work and perform their repertoire.
In the First Round the scoring will be made by the Jury using the Passed/Not passed method, each Passed being accompanied by a score between 1 and 12 points. It takes at least 3 Passed votes to take into account the grades, with the first 13 participants making it to the Semifinal. If two or more participants have the same score, exceeding the number of 13 participants, the jury will meet and other scores will be given to them.
Results and Draw of lots for the Semifinal
In the evening, after the results are announced, the repertoire and the order of entering the competition for the Semifinal will be drawn.
July 28, 2021: Semifinal – Opera
- With Orchestra
- W.A. Mozart: “Don Giovanni” – Overture (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
- P.I. Tchaikovsky: “Evgheny Oneghin” – Introduction (Edition P. Jurgenson/ reprinted Kalmus)
- With Orchestra and Soloists
- Mozart: “Don Giovanni” – No. 13 Atto I Aria “Batti, batti o bel Masetto” (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
- Mozart: “Le Nozze di Figaro” – No. 16 Atto III “Duetto Crudel, perchè fin’ora” (Edition Breitkopf und Härtel)
- Verdi: “La Traviata” – No. 3 Scena ed aria Violetta – Finale Atto I “È strano! – Ah, fors’è lui – Follie! Follie!”(Edition Ricordi)
*the second strophe of the aria “Ah, fors’è lui” not included
- Verdi: “La Traviata” – No. 4 Scena ed aria Alfredo – Atto II “Recitativo – Dei miei bollenti spiriti – Oh mio rimorso” (Edition Ricordi)
*cut from: 5 bars after No. 2 (Allegro) until 5 bars before No. 3 (Allegro) Oh, mio Rimorso;
*cabaletta cut from: No. 4 – until 20 bars before the final of the aria
- Verdi: “La Traviata” – No. 5 Scena e Duetto – Violetta e Germont Atto II “Duetto Madamigella Vallery” (Edition Ricordi)
*from no. 5 until the end
- Ceaikovski: “Evgheny Oneghin” – No. 12 Scena ed Aria Oneghin “Vy mne Pisali” (Edition P. Jurgenson/ reprinted Kalmus)
* from Letter W (Andante non tanto)
- Ceaikovski: “Evgheny Oneghin” – No. 17 Aria Lenski “Kuda, Kuda”(Edition P. Jurgenson/ reprinted Kalmus)
*starts one bar before no. 40
- Ceaikovski: “Evgheny Oneghin” – No. 18 Duet Oneghin Lenski “Duetto Vraghi,vraghi” (Edition P. Jurgenson/ reprinted Kalmus)
* from Letter G ( L’istesso tempo) until no. 60
The Semifinal – Opera will be divided in two parts:
- Rehearsal with piano and soloists
- Performance with orchestra and soloists.
The drawn repertoire will consist of the interpretation of a piece with orchestra from point 1 and a piece with orchestra and soloists from point 2.
Each participant will have approximately 15 minutes for each part of the Semifinal.
In the Semifinal the Jury will score both the Rehearsal with piano and soloists and the Performance with orchestra and soloists. Each member of the Jury will be giving a score between 1 and 12 points for every part, the maximum score given by a Jury member in the Semifinal being 24 points.
Results and Chosen Repertoire
In the evening, the results will be announced and the Jury will choose the repertoire and the order of entry for the Final Gala.
July 29, 2021 Final Gala and Awards Ceremony
On July 29, 2021 at 19:00 will take place the Final Gala and the Awards Ceremony of the International Conducting Competition “Ionel Perlea” 5th Edition, 2021.
The finalists will be scored by each member of the Jury with a score between 1 and 24 points.
In addition to the prizes awarded by the Jury and the special prizes, representatives of important cultural institutions, will be invited to the Final and will provide both feedback and advice regarding the future career of the candidates as well as contracts in the 2021-2022 season.
The grading is individual and secret, the scores given by each member of the Jury being communicated to the organizers of the competition.
The organizers of the competition will calculate the results and will communicate the names of the participants who will pass to the next round.
Following the vote, 13 semifinalists and 6 finalists will be chosen.
The Members of the Jury do not have the right to discuss among themselves or with others the performance of the participants before or during the competition.
If two or more participants obtain the same score and the result must be taken into account for advancing in the next round or for awarding one of the Prizes, the Jury will meet and other scores will be given to them.
The Prizes will be awarded according to the scores obtained, the Orchestra Prize will be awarded following the vote of the orchestra members, and the other Special Prizes will be awarded by the representatives of the cultural institutions invited to the Final Gala.
The scores will not be made public.
26th of July 2021
7 PM: Opening Ceremony & Draw of lots of the Entry Order and the Repertoire for the First Round
27th of July 2021
12:00 AM– 03:30 PM: First Round with orchestra (Group A)
3:30 PM – 6:00 PM: Lunch Break
6:00 PM – 9:30 PM: First Round with orchestra (Group B)
9:30 PM -10:00 PM: Results
10:00 PM: Draw of lots of the Entry Order and the Repertoire for the Semifinal
28th of July 2021
11:00 AM – 2:30 PM: Rehearsal with Piano and Soloists
2:30 PM – 5:30 PM: Lunch Break
6:00 PM – 9:30 PM: Performance with the Orchestra and Soloists
9:30 PM – 10:00 PM: Results & Final Gala Repertoire chosen by the Jury for each finalist
29th of July 2021
11:00 AM – 2:30 PM: General Rehearsal with the Orchestra and Soloists
2:30 PM – 7:00 PM: Lunch Break
7:00 PM: Final Gala & Awards Ceremony